What can we identify that will become necessary to produce locally if transport costs become prohibitive?
- Engineered/manufactured products
What can we identify that we currently produce that is becoming uneconomical to ship/export in bulk as raw materials that we can instead process to much smaller (and more valuable) finished goods?
- Timber – process to paper, furniture, fabric, utensils, buildings, prefab structures
- Dairy products – to cheeses, butter
- Meat – cuts rather than whole carcasses
- Wool – finished garments
What necessities can we identify that we no longer produce locally, and that would create serious hardship were we no longer able to import from outside our local community – and if produced locally what could they add in terms of diverse culture – local wellbeing, local creativity, local expression and use of local materials?
What has technology made possible to create on a local scale that previously was centralised/imported – and what would be the spin-off’s in terms of local jobs, recovery of a full range of skills, retention of young people in communities?
- Local dairy factories – processing through to finished goods
- Small-scale local power production – solar, wind, tidal, waste, biofuel
What outcomes can we expect from local production?
- Healthy lifestyle/ natural products without the need for unhealthy industrialised practices
- Social capital – compassionate communities that have a shared identity and care for their disempowered
- Social cohesion – bringing hope, reduction in harm, safe communities (a community that feels good about itself doesn’t need to indulge in self-medicating addictions – gambling, binge drinking, rampant consumerism, drug abuse)
- Environmental diversity, move away from reliance in GE, industrialised agricultural practices
- Better results from personal involvement and investment in work
- Reduction in vulnerability to international economy and to potential loss of sovereignty through economic collapse
- A more natural, just and sustainable wealth distribution
What new business/funding structures might we need to develop or rediscover?
- Co-ops – joint production facilities, jointly owned and shared profits, profits held locally
- Development of micro-businesses with standard compliance templates to reduce barriers to start-ups
- New forms of community investment/ diverting funds from investment in conventional stock market/banking into local initiatives